6 servings 100 minutes
- 2 1/2 lbs of firm white fish (tilapia, swai , cod, etc)
- 2-3 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 large onions (sliced)
- 3 cups of cut vegetables (carrots, celery, bell peppers)
- 4 chopped tomatoes or 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 3 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 2 Tablespoon of low fat sour cream or yogurt (optional)
You can do all the prep work ahead of time, assemble the fish and vegetables in the baking dish and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it. In that case, you will need to bake this dish longer, 40-50 minutes.
- Cut the fish into serving size pieces and blot it dry with a paper towel to get rid of excess moisture.
- Heat about 1/2-1 Tablespoon of oil in a nonstick skillet over high heat, season the fish on both sides with salt, ground black pepper and any combination of your favorite seasonings.
- Cook the fish for about 2-3 minutes per side. It should still be partly raw in the center. Cook the fish in batches until it’s all partly cooked. Transfer the fish to a plate while you prepare the vegetables.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prep all the veggies. Peel and halve the onions, and then thinly slice them. Peel the garlic and then mince them or use a garlic press. Peel and grate the carrots, thinly slice the celery and the bell pepper. Grate the tomatoes if using them. Instead of grating the tomatoes, you can put them through the food processor or blender, or even chop them.
- Heat another Tablespoon of oil on medium high heat and add the onions, carrots and celery (or your choice of vegetables) to the skillet. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes, until the vegetables soften.
- Add the bell pepper, tomatoes and garlic. Season with salt and pepper as well and more dry herbs and seasoning that you like. Cook for another 8-10 minutes, stirring often.
- Spread half of the vegetables on the bottom of the baking dish that you will be using. Place a layer of fish over the vegetables. Spread the remaining vegetables over the fish.
- Spread a thin layer of sour cream or yogurt over the vegetables. This step is completely optional.
- Cover the baking dish with a lid or aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes. We are basically heating it all the way through to the center, to finish cooking the fish