- 3 medium pears
- 2 medium apples
- 1 cup seedless grapes
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1¼ cups apple juice or cider
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Rinse pears, apples, and grapes. Do not peel fruit.
- Remove core from pears and apples. Cut fruit into 1 inch pieces.
- In a medium pot, add pears, apples, grapes, raisins, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add apple juice and water to pot to barely cover the fruit.
- Bring fruit and juice to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a colander, strain the fruit over a small bowl, reserving the liquid.
- Return the liquid to the pot. Add cornstarch. Cook on low to thicken slightly. Remove from stove and let cool.
- Pour thickened juice mixture over fruit and stir. Cool and serve right away. Or, store in an air tight container for up to 1 week.
- Use any type of apples and pears you like.
- Try a combination of dark and golden raisins, dried cranberries, or dried cherries.
- Enjoy alone or on top of grilled meat or fish, over low fat plain yogurt, or over oatmeal or toast.
- For a hearty and healthy brunch, serve with whole wheat pancakes. Add a dollop of low fat plain or vanilla yogurt.