- 1 (16 ounce) package whole grain penne pasta
- 1 medium onion
- ½ pound carrots, or combination of carrots and winter squash
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (26 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package firm tofu
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- Cook pasta using package directions. Prepare sauce while pasta cooks.
- Peel and rinse onion.
- Dice onion into ¼ inch pieces.
- Rinse, peel, and grate carrots.
- In a large skillet over medium low heat, heat oil. Add onions and cook 5 minutes. Add grated carrots and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add marinara sauce to vegetables. Drain tofu. Crumble into sauce. Mix well.
- Raise heat to medium. Cook until sauce begins to simmer, about 7 minutes.
- Pour in milk. Stir to combine.
- Pour sauce over cooked, drained pasta. Just before serving, add salt and nutmeg. Stir.
- Look for jarred sauce that does not have added sugar.